band

Working with Lobster

11:28


“We came for the dub, but stayed for the grub.” That’s what Lobster told me.
Who are Lobster, you ask? Lobster are a six piece reggae punk band from Birmingham. As part of my Music Promotion and PR classes, I and three others have created One Drop PR, a PR agency for reggae artists.
Lobster have a whole load of personality; they eat smelly sandwiches, host parties with friends in the underground music scene, mix in hip hop and ska and even have to put their tongues in their cheeks with their lyrics at times. Having been a band for six years, they also act like children together. This is why One Drop were so keen to welcome them to the family.

Listen to their latest EP 'Blotto'd' HERE!

We formed One Drop PR on the basis of Bob Marley’s wise words about reggae being more about the ‘feel’ of reggae. We wanted to be fun, informal and off beat – hence the name, after the drumming technique. Therefore we weren’t all about that social media malarkey, instead we wanted to dive into the community and widen it.
As group co-ordinator, I distributed roles and landed myself as creative writer and press manager. This involved a lot of talking to Lobster and contacting bloggers and press to get them to have a chat too. I was also able to invite people to our busking event that we hosted with the band. On Halloween we took Lobster’s electric live set to the streets and the sweet sounds of reggae brightened up New Street.
One Drop were formed to be an agency, but instead adapted to the conventions of reggae’s word of mouth, informal ways. Which, admittedly was a nightmare at times. I’m a perfectionist, I like order!
We also promoted the Lobster Shack event, a night of underground music hosted by the band at the Hare & Hounds.
With Lobster myself and my team got them professional photographs, press coverage, a redesigned website, promo videos from the busk and also helped them to refine their online presence and descriptions. Those boys can ramble.

Though, I am now doing the same. The message is: listen to Lobster!
Read my getting to know interview with them here
'like' Lobster

You Might Also Like

0 comments