advice

What I learnt about relationships during my first year at university

09:45



So, this is a sort of old post originally published on The National Student (read it here), though I thought I'd post it up on here. First year of university is well and truly done and dusted, thank you Lord. Not only did I manage to pass with a first *gasps with disbelief*, I learnt a LOT about boys.

For some, the end of the final semester of the university year doesn’t only mean saying goodbye to stumbling into 9am lectures, checking references with Neil’s Toolbox and a disgusting kitchen, but saying goodbye to somebody really special. No, I don’t mean the creepy flat mate.
Like many freshers, university offered a whole new horizon in the form of different types of relationships and I could even perhaps both cringe and cry looking back at it all. Here’s what I really learnt about relationships (however unconventional) during my first year at university.
Student nights often have that everybody wants to get with everybody but nobody wants to make the first move vibe
You’ll probably do some stupid things during freshers, and you’ll probably do stupid things during the entire year at student nights. This is okay, if you are okay with it. There’s that whole general vibe of teenage hormones running riot mixed with £1 drinks and neon paint so if you want to go crazy then nobody is going to judge you for doing so. Also, if you’re like me and didn’t do anything worth drunkenly tweeting or alternatively considering hibernation about, then that’s fine too. They still let you into university if you didn’t sleep with that guy from Derby or that girl from Wales after dancing with them. They’ll also probably let you in if you do.
I’ve seen relationships last since freshers, and I’ve seen people avoid each other on campus after one clumsy night. What I learnt however is, nothing is right and nothing is wrong – as long as it’s safe, consented and you feel good about it.
(NOTE: I take zero responsibility for your actions after reading.)
Tinder is not for me
We may deny it, but the majority of us students have been or are on Tinder. And there is nothing wrong with that. It’s often funny, can pass the time and you know, some attention can be nice, even if it has the weird smirk emoji at the end of it. After a couple of disastrous Tinder dates, it’s kind of easy to get excited when one actually goes well – I have since learnt not to do so.
Personally, I’m not into the whole casual hook up, late night flirt kinda thing. So as I sat in bed swiping gormlessly and wondering how to crop my selfie to make it fit properly to post as a ‘moment’, reality suddenly hit. What. Am. I. Doing. I was 18, living away from home with ‘the whole world waiting for me’ (according to my mum). Why was I seeking companionship through a phone? It was fun, sure. But good things come to those who wait.
Good things may come to those who wait, but sometimes it’s best if they go
Ha, well. Ironically, I did meet somebody through Tinder. Well long story, friend of friend but also on Tinder. Anyway. I’ve since learnt that commitment probably isn’t best at university for people like me, loyalty is one thing but full on commitment is a lot more. During six months of ‘seeing each other’ we had some really great times and were loyal to one another, we didn’t ask too many questions and we didn’t really have the talk. This for many around us seemed strange. Though as term rolls to an end and exams become in touching distance it’s easy to see why we met up recently and had the ‘let’s be friends’ talk over a drink. Surprisingly, not in Wetherspoons.
University ‘relationships’ are always going to be tested as students return home for a stupidly long summer. Distance isn’t perhaps thought about in advance; neither is time nor change of context, not to mention work placements and jobs. So sometimes you do find something great, but that doesn’t mean it has to be long to be.  If you can pick up where you left off over summer, or even continue over summer – I dig that, but if it ends then just think about why.
University doesn’t have to end existing relationships, either
We see those couples growing up together having dated since being in nappies, or wearing shutter shade glasses in year nine, and we all secretly think ‘they are not going to last once they start at university.’ I have learnt once more, that more often than not I am wrong. Relationships can end after the strain of university is put on them, but they can also be strengthened. In fairness, I didn’t realise how little time is actually spent AT university. So, if you are willing to try and keep up communication and put time aside to see each other, I’ve witnessed relationships lasting the year with minor hiccups. Of course, when there’s a bump in the road it is quite evident – but that means it has to be addressed.
Finally, I must always remember it is okay to be myself throughout it all
At first I felt like a complete twit turning my face to dodge a kiss in a club, or pretending I was nipping to the loo when somebody was getting a little too close for comfort. I’ve since learnt that this is nothing to feel guilty for. I didn’t have to give somebody my number just because they asked and I didn’t want to seem rude. I didn’t have to make out with a guy when all that I actually wanted to be dancing as my favourite song came on.  I have learnt that usually in clubs, people are just there for a good time and if you’re not digging it, they’re not going to take it to heart.
You don’t have to pull on every night out, or be given sexual attention. Just have a good time, with no intentions.


You Might Also Like

0 comments