delete

What's the big deal with...deleting people on Facebook?

09:17


Well, since like the beginning of social media there’s been a big deal made when you deleted somebody from social media. But the question is, WHY?
I’m not afraid to admit that I have removed people from my Facebook friends list, though never without motive. It doesn’t even matter how big or small this motive may be, if you have one then get rid.
For me, Facebook is a way to keep in touch with people that I want to keep in touch with. There are my actual friends, people from school, distant relatives that share a quote that a minion couldn’t even think yet alone say...
Basically only people I’d say hello to if they walked my way.
Without going into too many details, I’m not ashamed to admit that I have deleted several guys that I’ve dated. It doesn’t matter that one I dated for two weeks, and another for six months. It also doesn’t matter that one hurt me more than the other.
The point became that I didn’t want anything else to do with them, so why would I be interested in seeing their shares of the ‘LAD bible’ or the footie scores?
I’m aware that this may seem pathetic. That it might look as though I am overdramatic, silly, childish, rude even...
Mentioning it to people, I’m met with laughs sometimes. Spluttered ‘why!?’s and even exasperated sighs.
But really, I’m just not a fan of falling for the temptation of checking walls, new friendships and photo likes. Really, I just don’t want to see.
Perhaps it’s because I do care, and am jealous. Perhaps it’s because it really isn’t worth the hassle.
Similarly, I’ve removed people that I went to school with. If they were never particularly pleasant when I knew them, why did I care that they’d passed their driving tests?
I enjoy positivity, and that counts for Facebook too. I don’t want to subconsciously filter what I post, or post for a reaction. With only friends on Facebook, I don’t have to.
It’s all well and good if you fancy a nosy, and everybody is different. It’s just time to stop shaming individual decisions, each delete is a different story!

So if somebody’s bringing your newsfeed down, feel no shame in removing. If you’re worried, just hide them from your feed. It’s your profile.

You Might Also Like

0 comments