15 things I learnt in 2015

15 things I learnt in 2015

08:12


This post was supposed to be a quick post. But, it’s taking me like, triple, the time to type. I’m wearing false nails and they’re really short but it got to the point where I had to ask my twin sister to push my ankle boot on this morning. Both went flying. I’m hoping I don’t get a wedgie.
Girls, how are you doing this on a daily basis?
Anyway, here are fifteen things I learnt during 2015.

1.    People you love won’t be there forever, give them a hug
This year I sadly lost my great auntie, Irene. Throughout my childhood she was the strong woman with the long hair who taught me how to French knit, absolutely kill a crossword, make orange peel cookies and let me read out the lottery numbers. She passed and I hadn’t seen her in a few years, something I’ll forever regret. There were stairs at the bottom of her garden that you climbed and you’d reach an entrance to the beach, I like to think she climbed the stairs!
Hug your loved ones, call them up, and never leave things too late.

2.    Though, you can’t make people stick around. Even on your birthday.
Yes ladies and gents, this year I got dumped two days before my birthday! But, it’s totally cool. Is there ever a good time? This year I’ve learned not to worry about anybody who won’t even take thirty seconds to ask how you’re doing. Maybe it’s better in the long term for somebody not to stick around, who wants to live a lie? OH NOT IIIIIII!

3.    But there’s always one person who you want to stick around…
For me this year I learnt that there’s no better person than my momma. 2015 wasn’t the greatest for me, but was the year that my mum and I grew stronger. Thanks for holding my hand, leaving mugs of tea on the windowsill, trying to rap along to the radio to break silences, sharing your wisdom and telling me the truth. Forever my biggest supporter.
I learnt that I am more like my mum than I would have cared to admit, but it’s something to shout from the rooftops whilst wearing leopard print boots.



4.    Sometimes it just isn’t your time
In 2015 I took many chances, well, I tried to seize them really. After four months of pure hard work and determination, including the toughest interviews, pitches, presentations, activities and tests I missed out on an internship I was desperate for. Because of my age. However, I listen to Rachel Platten Fight Song and GET IT.
The world is your oyster, learn from the experiences and you’ll get the pearl.

5.    So, always be your own cheerleader
No matter how small your achievement may seem to you, it’s still one. Whether it’s taking baby steps or a giant leap, be your own cheerleader. Taking pride in yourself is a step in itself, and it doesn’t mean you’re cocky. Confidence comes in different dose sizes.
So here goes, this year I was published in the Guardian, was recognised by Sony Music, won a national writing award position and got invited to the Mercury Prize Awards – I’m proud..!

6.    You’re never too old to be childish
Having completed my first full year as a university student, I’ve realised that I’ll probably have Peter Pan sensibilities. This year I visited Shrek’s Adventure, Legoland, saw One Direction (my loves) twice and Little Mix, went to the circus, the farm, spent an amazing amount of time with my nieces and nephews. I did some childish things, essentially. I’m tired of being scared of embarrassing myself. 2015, you bought out my inner child and I want to stick my nose in all of the ice cream.
Be silly.




7.    Some people are really rude
I spent the past seven months working as a waitress (not in a cocktail bar), during which I had the pleasure of making the best friends, but also meeting the worst customers. Working in customer service you’ll get your head bitten off, probably pick your skin by your nails too short with fear, and resist the urge to hide in the walk in fridge. There are some people who are just rude, and it’s best to dismiss it. You’ll never see them again.

8.    A little kind goes a long way
Following this, I learnt – never be that customer. Don’t let customer service turn you bitter! Ask your server how their day is, compliment that barista’s nails, give your bus pass to somebody else for the day when you’ve finished with it, just smile. Karma does a circle.
You might even get an extra scoop of gelato. I speak from experience.

9.    Nobody can make you feel inferior, without your permission
I swear a Disney tween star said this. But I can’t think who. Whatever. It’s true. I used to cower from department stores, never walk into fancy clothes shops and feel uncomfortable in restaurants. I am human, staff are human – let’s be human and feel comfortable around each other.

10. And, nobody can look after yourself as well as you can
This year, and into the next I learnt to stop relying on people for happiness. I can make it myself! You know what your body and mind wants and needs, so make sure that it gets it. Look after yourself, lil flowers. You’re still blossoming.

11. Make time to read
I’ve always been a bookworm, but recently I let it slip and didn’t prioritise reading. It was wrong of me and I’ve ended the year indulging in words and my mind has never felt as healthy.

12. Fads are fads, they rhyme with bad
I became obsessed with social media and trends, constantly comparing myself to other people. To fabricated online life! I have learnt to concentrate on my own, starting with checking other’s minimally.

13. I don’t have to live by a diary
I’m possibly the most organised person, ever. Somebody actually said ‘how are you so organised, but not together?!’ it’s true. Though 2015 bought spontaneous gigs, dates, holidays to Tunisia and trips. Seize the moment, and find William Thacker’s house in Notting Hill!



14. Family isn’t always your blood
I’ve become closer than ever to my step family this year, and it’s something I am so grateful for. They push me to ride rollercoasters, can embarrass me to death, tire me out at adventure plays and do nothing for my diet – we always eat out. Though my extended family are extremely precious, and I would never swap them.
This goes for my absolute bestie too, coming up to eight years of sleepovers, slut dropping, binge eating and talking absolute rubbish and I will never tire of it.




15. And finally, I like burritos

Yes, it took me to December to do it. But I tried a burrito, and I liked it.

Happy New Year to all! xx

You Might Also Like

0 comments