achievement

First article for The Guardian

06:08


When I submitted a quick pitch to The Guardian about my frustrations with some people’s reactions to studying alongside my twin at university – I never expected it to be published!
I am currently in my second year at Birmingham City University where myself and my twin are on the same course and living together. Of course, we’re used to the typical, often unfunny comments though find it unbelievable that we still are at the receiving end of twin harassment. We get people pointing in the street and crude comments on nights out. Though university opened a wide range of new, almost prejudice?
We understand completely that others may see our studying together as a restraint of our independence. Then parts of me wonders; why? Why does a small part of our day at uni being on the same course mean that we can’t too be independent people? We’re not in every class together, we lead separate lives and have separate friends. We are individuals.
To the people who ask why we didn’t just go our separate ways. I ask, why should we have? Why should one of us have jeopardised our place on a course that offers fantastic facilities and is highly acclaimed in a city that we both love? It isn’t forced that we have the same interests, it happens that they cross.
Anyway, enough whinging.

You Might Also Like

0 comments